Saturday, April 2, 2011

The road less traveled

Since my daughter (L2) was born she has been special.  Not just in the normal way that people believe their children to be special, but I could see that she was different.  L2 was a patient child from the moment she was born up until age 2.  I watched her do little things that set her apart from other 2 year old and from how her sibling reacted to things.  At first I believed it to be my imagination, but after a few months I realized something was going on with my little girl and I did not know what it was.  To this day I am not sure what she had and while we are going through the process of diagnosis I hope that a simple explanation awaits us.  While we wait I can only wonder if I have a special needs child how will my family handle it, how will she handle it, how will I handle it and how will my husband handle it. 
During the past few years it has not been easy to get my husband to see that our daughter is; shall we say different.  She is currently in Pre-K and having a very difficult time with her conduct, she has been dismissed early every day the last two weeks.  At this point I can only wait for the clinic to schedule us and get all the testing done, but my husband believes this to be in vain.  His family does not believe that their is any issue that yelling and spanking can not fix or that this issue is serious enough to require outside help.  I am at the end of my patients with him, but I am trying to give him the time to find his way to the conclusion that I am at. 
Our daughter requires help and we require help in order to help her deal with her issues.  I know that I am not putting the cart before the horse as my husband suggest, I am sure that she has something going on and that what ever it takes I will be there. 
As we go forward I hope that he can swallow his pride and put aside whatever issues he has with having a special needs child so that we can move forward together as a family and give our child the help she so deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Swidget 1.0 2