Thursday, July 8, 2010

Logan's Birth Story

***Disclaimer, this is a birth story and trust me I left the really gross stuff out but left it real.***

On May the 14th I was 7 months pregnant and feeling a little under the weather.  My husband begged me to go to the hospital and I said no.

On May the 15th I was still feeling bad and again my husband asked me to go to the hospital again I said no, but I promised if I was not feeling better the next day that I would go.

On May the 16th I was still not feeling well and for once I actually listened to my husband and against my better judgement I went to the hospital.

I was not bleeding and I was not having contractions, but I had a strange discharge and I was felling, well the best I can put it is, strange.  I went in to the hospital thinking I will make my husband feel better and I will be vindicated when they say that I am just tired and nothing is wrong. 

They decided after a few test that I was just dehydrated and decided to pump me full of fluid and to give me a broad spectrum antibiotic because they thought I had an infection.  It took them several time to find an I.V. because I was so dehydrated and it was actually nice to be able to lay down with all those people fussing over me.  The did a vaginal exam and stated that all was fine, I was not dilated.  Shortly after my exam I started having contractions and they got a little worried but quickly gave me medication to get them under control, over the next few hours I had two doses of the medication and my contraction finally stopped and they sent me home with the promise that I would keep drinking water and that I would see my doctor if I felt ill again.  This was around 11:00 p.m, we live about a half hour away from the hospital my husband took me to that day and had been gone most of the day so I was glad to get home and get into my bed.

Around 3:15 I was awoken by a very bad dream and a strange pain, I of course thought it was just Braxton Hicks.  After a few minutes of these strange pains I realized two things, it was contractions and they were getting really close.  I woke up my husband and told him call him mother to come stay with the kids and to get dressed because I needed to go to the ER.  He jumped into action and in no time we were on our way.  I had a serious of 7 contractions on route to the hospital, this time we went to the closer one which was only 15 minutes away. 

Once we arrived I knew things were bad because when I got out of the car I was bleeding.  I walked into the ER and was wheeled back immediately once they got me in the room to change everyone realized I was bleeding heavily and that things were not alright.  I let the nurses know that I wasn't due for 2 more months and they let me know that this baby was coming right now.  They were in the process of shaving, catheterizing and prepping me for an emergency C section when they noticed that my son was crowning.  As the doctor walked into the room he saw the situation and immediately sprang into action.  I pushed two times and out came my son, along with the placenta which as you might know is not a good thing.  Somehow my placenta had detached and that was the cause of my premature labor.  In less then 5 minutes my son was born, 3lbs 15oz and rushed to the nursery to help stabilize him and help him breath. 

I say my son for a few minutes before he was prepped and readied to head to the NICU of a different hospital 1 hour away from me.  It broke my heart when they brought him in my room in an incubator, but I was relieved that so many people were working so hard to take care of him.  The nurse practitioner assured me that they would do there best and that they would call me once he arrived and was settled.

Logan was given surfactant to help strengthen his lungs and was only on the ventilator for a few hours.  He was on oxygen for a while, but his levels were very low.  Our beautiful baby boy spent  a little over 3 weeks in the NICU and came home a whooping 5lbs.  It was one of the strangest deliveries for me and since the was #6 it was not what I expected at all. 

I learned a few things from all of this.
1. I am not as strong as I thought I was, but I am stronger then I care to admit. (crazy I know)
2. Babies are so strong and such fighters.
3. My husband is my rock and I need him, even when I don't think I do.
4. When you don't feel "normal" or "right" go to the doctor because it could be something serious.
5. NICU nurses are awesome and I am blessed for the wonderful angels that helped our family.

In the end I got my son,he is home and I got out of being 9 months pregnant during the hot summer in the California heat.  Now I am just waiting for the next crazy adventure with my family

1 comment:

  1. Hi QueenKai,

    Thanks for allowing me to use your birth story. I wasn't sure if you wanted to be added to the mailing list. If so, please send me your email address. Thanks again.


Search This Blog

Swidget 1.0 2